The Genesis of The Jimmy and Hannah Series of Christmas and Easter Musicals
In 1993, Mrs. Sherry Weirich, the wife of Pastor Terry Weirich at Victory Baptist Church in Coshocton, Ohio, was in charge of the children's choir at her church. She lamented to Terry Lee Hamilton, the creator of the Boot the Mule musical adventure tapes, that there were very few Christmas musical plays that were lively without being worldly (no rock music or rap music!). She asked Terry if he would write a lively and inspirational musical which her church could present that coming Christmas. Within one week, the Lord gave Terry the idea and the script for his first Christmas musical, Christmastime or Tinseltime? Within a matter of months, Terry expanded the first Christmas musical into a series of five Christmas and Easter musicals based upon the lives of Jimmy and Hannah Johnson, children of Fred Johnson, a young widower.
Components of The Jimmy and Hannah Series of Christmas and Easter Musicals
- Each musical has an estimated running time of 35 to 40 minutes, suitable for presentation on Sunday morning, Sunday evening, or even Friday or Saturday evening.
- The musicals are very adaptable for use in either the local church or Christian school, for use with a children's choir only or with a combined children's/adult choir.
- Each musical has a Director's Packet which includes the following: 1 Director's Book (stage and song directions, the complete script, sheet music for each song, and a CD) and 1 Choir Book (complete script and sheet music). The CD contains each song sung by vocalists with the accompaniment. Also on the CD is an instrumental version of each song to be used if you do not have a piano player.
- We also have Choir Books with each musical which can be purchased in bulk for your actors and choir members.
- In order to control your church's costs, Glory to Glory Ministries gives permission to make copies of any portion of the musicals for use in your church only.
1. Christmastime or Tinseltime?
Young Jimmy Johnson has a knack for irritating his twin sister, Hannah, and the children's choir director, especially at Christmastime when Jimmy focuses more on Santa than on Jesus. After a shopping trip at the local mall, Jimmy and Hannah come face to face with death in a horrifying accident, leading Jimmy to discover the real meaning of Christmas.
This Christmas musical contains five original Christmas songs by Terry Lee Hamilton and Fred Storm (the voice of Boot the Mule), including the following: Sing Christmas Is Coming, We Have Found Jesus, and the title song Christmastime or Tinseltime?
Click below to download and preview portions from Christmastime or Tinseltime?
2. Easter Means More Than Bunny Rabbits
This musical tells the story of Jimmy and Hannah's Aunt Matilda, a former missionary to Africa, but now a crippled, bedridden shut-in. In an inspirational Easter morning service, the hope and meaning of the Resurrection is beautifully illustrated when a surprise visitor walks down the aisle as young Jimmy recites, "Up from the bed she arose with a mighty triumph o'er her toes."
This Easter musical contains four original Easter songs by Terry Lee Hamilton, including the following: More Than Springtime, All We Like Sheep, and the title song Easter Means More Than Bunny Rabbits.
Click below to download and preview portions from Easter Means More Than Bunny Rabbits.
3. Back to Bethlehem
Jimmy and Hannah travel with Dad and Aunt Matilda to Uncle Herbert's farm for an old-fashioned Christmas. During a raging snowstorm that causes a power outage at the farm, the birth of a newborn calf helps Hannah to discover the true meaning of missionary sacrifice.
This Christmas musical contains five original Christmas songs by Terry Lee Hamilton and Fred Storm (the voice of Boot the Mule), including the following: From Darkness to Light, Ol' Fashioned Christmas, and the title song Back to Bethlehem. Click below to download and preview portions from Back to Bethlehem.
4. The Christmas Doll
On the way home from the grocery store, Jimmy and Hannah meet lost little Lili, a young German girl who clutches tightly to her prized possession, a doll given to her by her deceased father. Lili's new friends lead her home to her mother, and eventually to her new heavenly Father. There won't be a dry eye in the house when Lili places her doll on the altar as a Christmas gift for Jesus.
This Christmas musical contains five original Christmas songs by Terry Lee Hamilton, including the following: Christmas Is Just Around the Corner, Handle with Care, He Is Precious, and the title song Baby Jesus Is More Than a Christmas Doll.
Click below to download and preview portions from The Christmas Doll.